Adventures with Prudence and the New Run

Beatrix got her stitches out last Friday and joined Prudence in Cluckingham Palace.  They were both thrilled.

It was great to just be out scratching and pecking and being hens.

It also made Merlin happy.

 He was NOT pleased to have chickens in his house!

It looked like things were getting back to normal and our adventures were over.  But then I noticed that Prudence was squatting as if she were trying to lay an egg….unsuccessfully.  Oh no.  My first thought was that she might be egg bound.  She has not started laying again since winter and perhaps she was having trouble starting up.  I gave her a warm bath hoping that would get thing s moving , but nothing.  Given that the week end was coming and  that if she was egg bound it could be fatal, I decided to call the Vet and have her checked out.

We were able to get an appointment on Friday afternoon.  Prudence was not at all sure she liked it there but she was cooperative.

The good news was that that she was not egg bound.  There was no egg.  We took Xrays to make sure and to see if there was anything that would cause her to feel she needed to lay.  There was some fluid…well a lot of fluid.  Odd.  The Vet drained the fluid and Prudence felt MUCH better.  The question of course, is WHY was there fluid?  We don’t know but we suspect there could be a tumor someplace.  That is usually why fluid is produced.  So that is troubling.  The longterm prognosis is not good…but for the moment, Prudence feels fine.

She is back up in Cluckinham Palace with Beatrix enjoying herself.

We have been designing a new big run for them to replace the temporary one they had last year.  Given Prudence’s uncertain condition, we want to  build it soon so she will get a chance to use it.

It will go where the old one was but be safer.  It is a tricky area because there is a hill.  Level ground would be better but there you are.  

We will build it around the birch trees so there will be some shade.  We started digging the post holes yesterday and one of them filled with water.  It has been a wet Spring.  We will wait a few days and hope it dries up a bit.  You can see I have started digging a trench  around it.  This will be to bury the hardware cloth  to prevent predators from digging under.  

In the meantime, we used some fencing that we had to enclose a little grassy area for them.

They enjoyed sampling the grass and looking for bugs and worms.  They can use it while we are outside working on new run.

They are very lucky girls.  

I will let you know how the run turns out.

 

 

 

About patti

I am a retired kindergarten teacher, tending a new kind of garden now, raising chickens and exploring permaculture. I live with my husband, Bill, my beloved dog, Fergus and my cat, Mighty Merlin. We have a small cottage and a tiny bit of land called Brookwood Shire. It is our sanctuary.
This entry was posted in Hens. Bookmark the permalink.

Thank you for visiting Brookwood Shire. Please feel free to leave a comment. Your thoughts are most welcome.

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s