We have been having very variable weather here lately. Last week end it was cold and rainy with scattered frost warnings. This week end it has been hot…over 90F three days in a row, so our first official heat wave. It is a wonder anything survives in the gardens! Needless to say, the girls have not been able to work on the pumpkin patch every day. So it is not really finished. They have made a good start, and fertilized the area, but there is still some grass left. Nevertheless, I need to get the pumpkins in the ground soon if I expect them to ripen before the season is over. I will have to use some cardboard and newspaper to cover the grass that is left. Using permaculture techniques this shouldn’t be too difficult. No digging!
But that is a project for another day. The girls have loved being in the pumpkin patch and will complain fiercely if made to spend the rest of the summer in Cluckingham Palace. So today we set about making another run for them. I have a grove of birches that is in two sections. My plan is to connect the sections with more trees. I will plant fruit trees and under plant with something to make a food forest. But before I do, it would be good to get the girls in there, scratching and fertilizing. I also want to connect the area to the coop so the girls can go back and forth on their own. They have absolutely REFUSED to lay any eggs outside in the pumpkin patch. I have been bringing them back and forth on demand and to be perfectly honest it is getting a bit old. So I ordered a moveable fence. It is designed to keep rabbits etc out of a vegetable garden, but I am hoping it will also work to keep my girls contained. It is very lightweight and went up in no time.
Once it was up I invited the girls to try it.