After finishing the potato patch last week, I discovered that the potatoes in the cellar had sprouted. Apparently the cellar is getting too warm. Then a friend gave me some seed potatoes because she had too many. Well, the first potato patch was easy, why not make a second one?
I rewatched the video on You Tube. It is called No Dig Potatoes. On second viewing I began to wonder if I had used enough compost in the first potato patch. Hmm, maybe I should do another one, with more compost and compare the results. And this time, I could take pictures to share.
If this method works it is certainly easy. So I began again.
The first step is to put compost down on the ground and spread it out.
Cover the potatoes with poopy straw. I didn’t have enough poopy straw so I mixed in regular straw. Add more compost, sprinkle in the bonemeal. Water as you go. More manure would probably be better. The video also suggested “blood and bone” and dolomite. But I used what I had.
And that is it. According to the video, you just leave it for the season. The potato plants will grow through the moist straw and emerge at some point. In the fall, you harvest them. So that is the plan. As with so many things in the gardens this year, this is a bit of an experiment. I have great luck sprouting potatoes in dark places….this is an extension of that. So we shall see…..
And I will keep you posted.