We have been working on the new raised beds. It is a bit of an experiment really. My compost is not really ready yet and to buy enough soil for the four beds would be a bit pricey. So we are going to use what we have and hope that nature will help us out a bit.
We put the bed frames back and leveled them. This was a bit tricky as our land slopes quite a bit. We used stakes to level the frames. There were gaps on the bottom between the board and the sloping ground in some places. I was concerned that soil and water would run off so we put a few pieces of board we had left over from a different project inside the beds. This way we could close the gap and keep water and soil inside the beds.
We then added some old logs we had. They are starting to rot and are pretty crumbly. I saw this online. It is a permaculture technique. The logs are supposed to retain water. I hope so. They take up space as well which means we don’t need as much soil. I am not sure about this. It seems lumpy. But if it doesn’t work I can pull them out.
Next I added some compost. You can see it is not really soil yet. Lots of poopy straw, last years garden waste, grass clippings….I am hoping it will break down over the summer and add lots of nutrients to the soil. It seems a bit course but I think it will be ok.
On top of this I added a mixture of top soil, peat moss and aged manure. This layer is where the young plants will start.
I then added straw to the paths.
I put up a bamboo teepee…for morning glories or Scarlett runner beans…not sure yet..I just thought a vertical would be nice.
So there are our new raised beds. I am happy with the way they came out. I hope my vegetable plants will be happy as well!